Wednesday, April 04, 2007

"How are you today, sir?"

This is very American, I think.

Every morning, as I come out the elevator, the superintendent of our building asks me,

"How are you today, sir?"

I do appreciate his interest, whether it is genuine or faked on the premise of courtesy. Still, I have difficulties trying to restrain myself from answering tersely by saying,

"Well, I just woke up half an hour ago. How in the hell would I know?"

Instead, I try to smile politely and say,

"Well, let's see how it goes."

I am a Japanese educated in England. I am supposed to be naturally shy and reserved and perhaps a little cynical, although that supposition is by no means true in my case. Nevertheless, I am finding it a little difficult adjusting myself to the American ways in this particular respect.

No comments: