Monday, August 13, 2007

Chick Flick

In 1992, formidable acting talents of Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Alec Baldwin, Alan Arkin, Ed Harris and Kevin Spacey were brought together to bring David Mamet's masterpiece stage play to screen.

The film was "Glengarry Glen Ross".

It was an instant classic and superb freeze-shot of working life in post-Reagan America.

In 2007, formidable acting talents of Vanessa Redgrave, Meryl Streep, Glenn Close, Natasha Richardson, Clare Danes and Toni Collette were brought together for this film.

The film's title is "Evening".

It apparently deals with Vanessa Redgrave's dying character wondering what her life would have been like had she chosen another man when she was so young that she was Clare Danes.

Now, I may not be sufficiently in touch with my feminine side but does this sound interesting to you? Is this such an alluring story material that it justifies so many brilliant actresses wanting to sign on? Is this a kind of universal question that all the women in the world can empathise with?

Make no mistake. I am not bigoted. I did like "Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood" (2002). It was a lovely story of mother-daughter relationship, its central characters beautifully acted by Ellen Burnstyn, Ashley Judd and Sandra Bullock, with some strong performance in supporting roles from Maggie Smith, James Garner et al.

I suppose I do not have the same luxury as Vanessa Redgrave's character in this film. There is nothing equivocal about my love life. Basically, they all said "No", except for the lady who is now my wife. I do not think I have left many stones unturned.

In exchange for the truckload of excruciating experiences and embarrassing memories from my romantic misadventures, I am secure in the knowledge that I have made the best choice... by default.

On the other hand, my wife may be asking herself the question...

I may have to watch this film after all. The impressive list of actresses seem to suggest that there is more to it than what has given rise to my initial sarcasm.

No comments: