Saturday, August 11, 2007

Nobody Does It Better (Nobody Has It So Good, For That Matter)

A couple of blocks down the Avenue of the Americas from my office building is Rockefeller Center. At a corner of Rockefeller Center stands the building that houses the headquarters of Simon & Schuster, the venerable publishing house, one of the Big Four (the others are Random House, Penguin and HarperCollins).

Simon & Schuster was founded in 1924 by Richard L. Simon and M. Lincoln Schuster.

Richard Simon married Andrea Louise Heinemann, half black half Jewish singer and civil rights activist. Their third daughter also became a singer and went on to win two Grammy Awards, a Golden Globe and Oscar.

Her name is Carly Simon.













Sometimes, the god does give away excessive amount of blessings. I mean, she does have a prominent mouth, but she is not bad looking, either. Then I realise that she is only a year younger than my parents. Wow...

I am not a big fan of her music but some of her songs do stick to my musical memories.

Like this timeless ditty... about Warren Beaty, allegedly...



Then there is this song about me... in my dreams...



Some scary reflections of a broody woman... as used in the movie "Heartburn" (1986).



And the Oscar winner. The Best Music, Original Song winner for 1989 Academy Awards from "Working Girl".



You have had it so good, baby. I bet you think this song is about you...

No comments: