Sunday, August 26, 2007

Mystery, Thy Name Is My Son

Having had some mixed time for a week at the Dance Summer Camp, being the only boy and surrounded by genteel girls of Upper East Side, my son then moved on to a boy-only outdoor summer camp.

He seemed to have had a great time there. He looked content from physical exhaustion at the end of each day and wolfed down a slice of pizza and usual portion of dinner every evening.

Still, whenever I asked him about the new friends he had made at the camp and their names, he replied:

"Err... I don't know. I don't remember..."

I wondered, despite his otherwise cheerful demeanour, if he was doing OK at the camp after all, if he had some difficulties socializing with other kids, if he was making any friends...

Then at the end of the week and the camp last Friday, he came back home with a certificate stating that my son had been awarded "The Most Friendly Award".

"Hey... tell me... did everyone get this award?"

"Err... I don't know. I don't remember..."

He still cannot remember any of his friends' names from the camp.

No comments: