Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Salad Bowl

My son started kindergarten at a local pubic school last week ("public" in American sense of the word, to be sure).

We knew it would only be for several weeks till my stint in New York ends. Nevertheless, we thought he would benefit from socializing with other kids and being in an educational set out, as opposed to just another play-group or day care centre.

Besides, my wife needs some time free from child duty during the day.

On his first day, I took a day off from work and three of us walked to the school together, which is only a couple of blocks away from our flat.  (How convenient!  My wife cannot believe her luck.)

It was very chaotic with hordes of children, some crying, and their anxious parents, of whom I was one.

Later, my wife pointed out,

"Have you realised? We didn't see any black children there."

At first I thought,

"That cannot be the case..."

Then I recalled the scene and... So true... and how come? It is a public school, after all.

It turns out that biggest minority group in that school is probably Japanese.

It must surely be a joke!

"There are no white America. No black America. But the United States of America."

Hmmm... I am not so sure, Mr. Obama.  An inspirational aspiration, to be sure, but...

No comments: